Tuesday, August 03, 2010

More Closure

Sitting at my desk and getting ready to run to an important 9am meeting, but I feel the burning need to write.

Although I am full of nervous apprehension at what lies ahead with my parents' medical conditions: dad is doing well...but his mind appears to be going down the tubes....mother's cancer is back and the tumor and lymph node have increased in size over the last two months, I am filled with a strange calmness and sense that everything is going to be alright.

Another opportunity for closure happened yesterday. I got to spend the entire day with Mom O'Lovey. She lives just down the street from me....and I keep in close touch with her. Over the past five years, she and I have forged a very close and loving relationship. So, if she needs anything, I do my best to provide it and such was the case yesterday. She needed me to help her run a few errands and it wound up taking the entire day.

It gave me some valuable one-on-one time with her that I don't normally get. We talked about everything under the sun...including all of her duaghters....and my divorce....etc.

I shared with her that I had a conversatin with Lovey last week that brought me some closure. I also told her some of the things we discussed and how hurt I had been by some of her actions including that awful series of emails from early on last year that basically told me I was persona non grata. As I had suspected, Mom did not know any of this...and she had wondered why we had seemed so distant. In fact, it appeared that Lovey did what Lovey has always done...painted me as that awful old "good for nothing" ex-husband that made her life hell. Yesterday, the door opened for Mom to see it all from another side.

She cried and apologized to me.

The purpose of my opening up and sharing stuff with her was not a play to get her "on my side"...but it gave me a chance to clear the air and to bring yet another level of closure to my life as God continues to move in my life.

I am definitely feeling much, much better about things in general....and these pesky little items in particular.

We'll see what happens moving forward.

1 comment:

Ron said...

I'm trying to catch up on your story. I assume "Mom O'Lovey" is your former mother-in-law?